Friday, December 8, 2006

Made By Hand - Oakland

Made By Hand (303 S. Craig Street, 412.681.8346), another lovely shop with beautiful gift ideas, also doesn't have a website. Such a shame! This shop is a miniature version of one of my favorite ever gift galleries, The Silver Ribbon, in Pembroke, Massachusetts. Both shops carry only US made handcrafted items. I love to buy items from other countries, but I know it is very hard for shop owners to ascertain the products are made by people who are fairly treated, so it is best to leave that kind of selling to professionals like Ten Thousand Villages.

I didn't buy anything at Made By Hand, but there was a moose ornament I would love to go back and get when I am employed. I am beginning to think the best way to shop is without any money because one doesn't make impulse purchases. Perhaps even when I am employed, I will leave my card at home before venturing out on a local shopping trip.

No comments: